Shankend Viaduct near Hawick
Shankend Viaduct is a former railway viaduct in the Scottish Borders just over six miles south of the town of Hawick. It is a category B listed building.
It carried the Edinburgh-Carlisle main line of the North British Railway, the Waverley Line, on 15 stone arches across the shallow Langside valley and the Langside burn. It has a maximum height of 18.3 metres (60 ft) and has been extensively repaired with brick patching.
The viaduct was the last section of the Waverley Line and was opened to goods traffic on 28 June 1862 and passenger traffic on 1 July 1862. The contract for the construction of the viaduct was awarded together with the nearby southern Whitrope Tunnel on the same line.
With the closure of the entire route on 6 January 1969, the viaduct became obsolete and the rails have since been removed. In the 2000s, the monument was extensively restored by BRB (Residuary) Limited.